This post is part of Linda G Hill’s “Stream of Consciousness Saturday”
I love SoCS day…it’s like opening a little PRE-sent to see what the prompt will be every week ! And this week, in Linda’s absence, Helen Espinosa has graciously pre-SENT-ed us with the word PRE-sent ! It is interesting that just by changing the stressed syllable, we can change the meaning of the word entirely. There are many such words in English, and I wonder if this confounds people who are learning English as a second language? “PRE-sent” can be a noun or an adjective, while “pre-SENT” is a verb.
– You must be PRE-sent in order to pre-SENT your essay to the class.
– But Professor Smith, I ob-JECT to this rule. After all, the OB-ject of the lesson was only to write about the questionable CON-duct of the committee who con-DUCTED the study on the CON-flict between the REC-ord company and the re-CORDING artists, not to give a speech.
– True, but if you aren’t here to pre-SENT your essay, that would con-FLICT with the class schedule and I would therefore have to de-CREASE your grade by 10 points.
– That is not fair, Professor. I have worked hard on this PRO-ject and I really wouldn’t want to see a DE-crease in my grade after completing it. However, my experiment that is running in Professor Jones’ lab is pro-JECTED to be completed during your scheduled time, and I have no control over that. Are you sure you can’t per-MIT me to turn the essay in early without pre-SENT-ing it in person?
– Hmmm…well, because you have con-DUCTED yourself in a professional manner, and pre-SENTED me with a logical argument, I will give you a PER-mit to turn in the essay as you have requested. Consider it a PRE-sent from me to you.
– Thank you so much, Professor! I am sure that Professor Jones will appreciate me being PRE-sent for the final day of our experiment with the PRO-duce that we pro-DUCED using the compost from the school cafeteria.
– You’re welcome. And please remind Professor Jones to re-CALL this generosity on my part when he issues that RE-call for school office supplies later this semester.
Enough!! Actually, I can’t think of anymore words like that at the PRE-sent time. And that dialogue was so contrived and horrible! So I think it’s time that I go start pro-DUCING some hand-made Christmas PRE-sents for my friends and family. I have all these great ideas, and there are pieces and parts littering my kitchen table at the PRE-sent time, so it’s best that I start on them, I think!
Merci beaucoup to Helen for the great prompt today!